Monday, February 2, 2009

He gave it all away...............

One of the perks of running a B&B is the opportunity to meet so many interesting people from all over the world. I am constantly amazed by the diversity of experiences, backgrounds, talents, and skills my many and varied guests possess. This week I discovered one of the most interesting of all right in my own backyard.

He checked in a few days ago, during the severe ice and snow storms, which silently stole the power of 177,000 local residents in Louisville. He introduced himself as Steven Block and said he would be staying until his house was repaired and his power was on. The heavy ice, that engulfed nearly every tree in Louisville, had caused the demise of a large tree which fell against his house damaging it severely. He had to leave his icy home, which had no electricity or water, and move to a temporary residence. I’m happy to say he chose my bed and breakfast.


Little did I know, when Steven checked in, that he had had a major collection of etchings by Picasso, Grant Wood, Currier & Ives, and James Whistler. In addition, his collection included a rare Rembrandt etching entitled “Christ Before Pilate” (pictured here). I say he had this collection because, wonder of all wonders, he gave it all away!
(to be continued...............)

2 comments:

  1. He gave it all away?! I want in on this deal.

    I am a huge fan of Rembrandt etchings. These works are 400 years old, packed with history and passion. Durer also made some amazing woodcuts depicting Christ and other biblical subjects.

    I look forward to the continuation of this story! Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, Fiona. I will definitely continue the story tomorrow. Steven is still staying with me, so I have a captive audience with him at breakfast. He's a brilliant and interesting old gentlemen and loves to talk.

    ReplyDelete